BEET AND SUGAR SNAP SALAD
½ small red onion, peeled, halved and thinly sliced
3 tablespoons rice vinegar
1 teaspoon ground coriander
2 teaspoons maple syrup
1 teaspoon salt
½ teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
3 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
8 whole small young beets, any color, scrubbed clean
1 pint sugar snap peas, strings removed
1. Steam the beets in a steamer basket for 25-30 minutes, or until they can be easily pierced with a knife. Wait until cool enough to handle, peel and slice into ½ -inch thick wedges. Set aside.
2. For the dressing: in a salad bowl, combine the vinegar, ground coriander, maple syrup, salt and black pepper, then whisk in the oil in a thin stream and taste. The dressing should be highly seasoned.
3. In a medium bowl, toss the sliced onions and beets with the dressing.
4. Blanch sugar snaps in boiling salted water for 1 minute. Transfer to a bowl of ice water to stop cooking, then drain the water and pat the sugar snaps dry with paper towels.
5. Add them to the beet mixture and toss together to combine.
Serves 4 as a side dish